Monday, June 21, 2010

It is way too hot to go outside these days. "Lost" is over and "House" is repeats, so here I sit with no motivation to do anything except be lazy and indecisive and eat chocolate ice cream. I registered for the fall semester over two months ago, but part of it was tentative. The two certainties are Intro to Historiography and The Ozarks in American History. I also signed up for Hispanic Cinema, not because I wanted to but because I thought it would not be in my best interest to have a semester with no Spanish. I was hoping I could muster some interest in this class, but so far I have been unsuccessful. So, today I registered at the community college (from which I graduated last year) for an English class on Children's Literature. Now, I'm not all that interested in this subject either, but I have to take something. If I'm going to graduate next year I have to take at least three classes each semester and my choices are limited. All the classes I take from now on need to be upper level classes. Also, I need one more class to complete my fine arts requirement and the literature class will take care of that, but the cinema class will not. I do enjoy children's books and I look forward to once again experiencing the convenience of an online class. Although this is not my top choice for study, I feel confident that it will nonetheless be a worthwhile learning endeavor. At least, that's what I am telling myself.

As for my summer to-do list, I don't think I've made much progress. I have watched a few movies and read a couple of books. I've done some work in the yard and cleaned house. I haven't disciplined myself enough to keep up with Spanish like I should. But I have done a few fun things, just because I could. I'm enjoying my time off this summer, but I'm also looking forward to the beginning of a new semester this fall and all the new adventures it will bring. Someone please remind me of this when I start complaining about school this fall.

3 comments:

Caz said...

I'm glad you're enjoying your break. I'm not sure when your semester starts but maybe by then you'll be looking forward to the challenge again. Children's literature sounds fun - Roald Dahl is always good for a laugh. Graduating next year - wow, that should keep you motivated. I've got about another 4 years at this rate!!!

Anonymous said...

I took a Children's lit module as an undergrad - one thing that stood out for me was how we underestimate childrens's authours, especially of (good) picture books. Where the Wild things are for example. Enjoy your summer!

Connie said...

Caz, I began this journey about 5 years ago so I know how you feel.It has been a long trip.

Studentmum, one of my favorite children's book is Where the Wild Things Are. I hope it will be part of the curriculum.