Sunday, December 5, 2010

Knowable or Constructed

I'm currently suffering miserably while attempting to write an analytical paper. I used to think I knew how to write; now I know better. I have recently discovered that I only know how to write narrative papers, not analytical papers. Actually, I had no idea there were different kinds of papers or writing, and I am now paying the price for this woeful ignorance. I received a 79 on my primary source paper, with an extra 5 points added to everyone's grade because the professor knows he is an evil grader. So I came out of that fiasco with an 84, which I guess I should be grateful for, but as I always get A's on my papers I'm not feeling terribly thankful about it at all. It took me a couple of days to suck it up and look at all the notes he had written on the paper. I could not dispute any of his comments, but is was quite difficult to look at. Since receiving this grade I have been terrified to begin the analytical paper that is due on Tuesday. I have no confidence that I know how to write this paper. I have to write as if I am testifying before a court about whether or not history is knowable or constructed. No citations, no quotes, and no outside research. Well. Just my own reasoning based on the material covered this semester. It has to be done so I will do it, but I'm sure not looking forward to my grade in this class.


So, with two more weeks of school I have two papers to write and three tests to take, then I am home free! Looking forward to relaxing and enjoying Christmas.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's a hard one. My usual advice would be stake your claim and support it with evidence from the text. Maybe just decide where you stand and pick out stuff from the course material that backs you up. Or ask the evil grader for a little advice. Profs love that.

Sounds like you have a full schedule. Remarkable that you can keep up with a blog, too. Nice job!

All of us nontrads are stuck with finals when we'd rather be gearing up for the holidays. I just wrote about this on my blog threecreditsatatime.wordpress.com
check it out if you get the chance. Colleen

Caz said...

It is disappointing when you don't get the grade you want. All you can do is try your best and look forward to the up and coming break! Good luck.

Nicki said...

I am in over my head with assignments due too since Monday is our last day of the semester. I am entering my final senior semester and I have learned that all I can do is my best then as the Buddhists do, put my worries into a bubble and let them go. I have always been the one who needs to get an A. I am still that way but I have learned to stop beating myself up over anything less than an A. There is a book called "Dare To Get a 'B'" that I really should get! Good luck on your paper!!!! Just think...every day is one day closer to that degree!!

Connie said...

I would rather be thinking about Christmas than finals, that's for sure!
Oh Nicki, I need that book,lol. I want A's and nothing else will do.Good luck with finals, it is almost over!!!

Betsyanne (E Sheppard) said...

I agree with the other posters... sometimes you have to be satisfied with a B and not beat yourself up about it. That still means above average! Good luck on all your papers, and try not to worry too much. We are all rooting for you!